Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them.P.J. O’Rourke
As any parent knows, raising kids is truly one of the most difficult -and most rewarding- jobs that exist. There are no rulebooks or training programs, and just when you’ve mastered one stage, your child moves on and presents a brand new challenge you must figure out!
Parenting is physical: the constant loads of laundry, homework help, refereeing battles between siblings. Parenting is emotional: worrying about your child’s diet or screen time, becoming infuriated when you’ve told them to clean their room for the umpteenth time, feeling helpless when they’re struggling with something that’s out of your control. Parenting is mental: it’s the constant list of to-do’s running through your mind, remembering dentist appointments and school projects, meal planning around each family member’s dietary preferences. And on top of this, you’re having to balance every other element of your life outside of your children, which may include your relationship with your partner, self-care time, a job outside of the family, social relationships… the list is endless! I’m so glad you’re here and considering getting support for the most challenging role you will likely ever have.
Parenting therapy may be helpful if:
- You are feeling overwhelmed, burned out, sad or helpless.
- You’ve tried everything you can think of to help your children but continue to feel stuck, as nothing seems to work.
- It feels so painful to watch your children in pain, and although you just want to take it all away, you don’t know how.
- You sometimes lose your cool because of how frustrating your children can be, which leads you to feel guilty and often even more helpless.
- You feel like you’ve lost a sense of who you are outside of your parenting role and like you’re dangerously close to running on empty.
Want to consult with a child and adolescent psychologist, but not looking for therapy? Parenting consultation can be helpful for everyday questions and concerns. Parent consultation is wrapped into the child and adolescent therapy I provide. It is also available as a stand-alone service, apart from therapy. It can be as short or as long as you need.